Configure a user's DID for SMS in Numbers (Edify Console)
This article explains how to route inbound SMS messages sent to a user’s DID (direct inward dial) number to a chat channel.
In this article
The main use case for this set up is to let office users manage SMS through their DID. This means that once a user has a chat channel configured to the message route of their DID, they can create and receive SMS through chat in Edify App.
In Edify App, if you try to send an SMS through chat without having a number configured for SMS, you’ll receive an error message that says:
The chat user has not been assigned a messaging phone number
Continue reading this article to learn how to configure a user’s DID for SMS so that they can make outbound SMS messages.
1. Log into Edify Console at console.edify.cx.
2. Navigate to Numbers > Phone Numbers.
3. Locate and select the user's DID phone number that will manage SMS.
4. Click the pencil icon in the top-right corner of the number's container.
5. In the Message Route To field, choose Channel.
6. In the Message Route Data field, choose the DID of the appropriate user. These numbers will have a naming convention like “Bennie Franks (DID)”.
7. Click the Save button in the bottom-right corner of the screen.
8. To test the configuration, try sending an SMS to the phone number. A private message should be created between the user and the phone number that sent the text message.